The new design trend that is great for your mind and productivity
There are an increasing number of people working from home these days as work-life balance becomes more important. But, are our homes that much healthier and better for us than our offices? Adbri Masonry brand ambassador Jason Hodges believes they definitely are - especially if you follow this new trend.
“Technology and flexible working hours have led to a growing number of Australians choosing to work from home – it’s easy to see why there is a huge rise in the outdoor office, thanks to our great climate and the added health benefits that lead to a more enjoyable and balanced work life”, Jason said.
According to Planet Ark research, there are significant health and environmental benefits to incorporating nature into your daily routine. Spending time with nature induces positive feelings with 86 per cent of Australians who have a close connection with nature are significantly happier, and just 10 minutes spent outside can help to improve mental health and wellbeing.
Adding elements of nature into your workday such as fresh air, natural light and greenery can be a mood-booster and great for the brain – resulting in increased productivity, focus and creativity whilst reducing mental fatigue.
Having a garden office proves to be beneficial in more ways than increasing your work productivity alone. It is about convenience and making life easier. People are attracted by the versatility of working in an open, light-filled space, away from the noise and distractions from everyday life. The ability to escape and connect with nature in the comfort of your own home is a winning combination.
The best part is it is really each to create your own outdoor office and Jason shared with us his five tips to designing the perfect space...
1. Embrace your outdoor office with a landscaped, leafy outlook. Incorporate easy-to-maintain garden beds and vertical garden walls that will add visual interest, maximise the space available and create privacy.
2. Use large format pavers to create a solid area that will clearly define the workspace. Try Adbri’s Euro Stone 400x400 paver that will create a solid foundation and separate the office from the rest of the yard. If you have a lawn, place the pavers as stepping-stones to and from the entry for a practical and aesthetic aspect.
3. With longer, warmer days throughout spring and summer, opt for shade cloths, pergolas or umbrellas to reduce sun exposure and glare.
4. Introduce a water feature that will enhance the aesthetic appeal and serve as a functional purpose such as blocking out noise from traffic or neighbours – creating a tranquil ambience.
5. Selecting the right furniture is imperative, as it will allow you to add structure and maximise the usability of all available space. Look to seating with hidden storage space or try building a seating wall with Adbri’s AB Courtyard blocks.
If you're going to try creating your own outdoor office, send in the photos - we'd love to take a look!
Adbri Masonry is Australia’s leading masonry manufacturer supplying quality concrete bricks, blocks, pavers, retaining walls, erosion control products, architectural masonry solutions and reconstituted stone veneers throughout Australia’s East Coast, South Australia and Tasmania.
Jason Hodges is Australia’s well-loved celebrity landscaper, most notably seen on the Channel Seven lifestyle TV show Better Homes & Gardens. Jason is also a brand ambassador for Australia’s leading masonry manufacturer, Adbri Masonry. Jason is a four-time Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show (MIFGS) Gold medallist.
To learn more about Adbri Masonry, please visit www.adbrimasonry.com.au